Monday, July 6, 2009

I Won a Prize!

One time, CoolBoy and I went to the rodeo, and we were sort of forced into entering a contest to win a truck. I got a call tonight, and I didn't win a truck, but I did win a $75 gift card to Kohl's (and having only a fake job, such a shopping spree sounded heavenly).

BUT then... you had to be at least 25 to claim it.

BUT it's transferrable, so someone who is 25+ could pick it up for me. And I have a mom!

BUT turns out my dad has to go too, and it will "only" take 90 minutes for them to pick up my prizes.

And then... my mom was giving me her "I will kill you as soon as I get off the phone" look.

Having long since realized I was never going to get this gift card, when she did get off the phone, I told her I hadn't realized that it had entailed so much hassle and we could just forget about it. She turned to me and said, "Nothing in life is free. If it seems too good to be true, it is." This, of course, brought me back to the stinky, mean real-world where I don't get any new clothes at no cost to myself and people only want to sell my e-mail address to solicitors.

Also, "Puppies, turn into dogs, who get old, and DIE!"

(I remain unmoved in my idealism, however, because if I switch over to realism I will simply have to cry. The world isn't that bad; it just isn't. Also, I don't actually like Kohl's all that much.)

4 comments:

Amy said...

That's terrible! I hate it when life does that to you.

Lisa Marie said...

LOL I had the same thing happen to me, but it was a "free trip to Las Vegas"...right. I called my mom to tell her and she immediately shot down my dreams and told me what it was, even though I thought it was mean at the time...she was right. The world is cruel. I wish vacations and money to go shopping really was that easy!;) A wonderful thought...

Jasie said...

I'll go claim your prize for you....for a cut of course. Your mom is right, nothing is free. ;)

Mikey said...

What!? That's a bunch of garbage! (on a friday night!) Why couldn't they just mail it to you? What a bunch of mean people.

Also, I hate that I knew where that quote was from. I swear it's not my fault.