Friday, July 17, 2009

Grammar-isms

In an effort to practice positive thinking towards (hopefully!) getting a job in the fall, I recently started to tentatively plan a super cool linguistics unit. I think it's kind of ridiculous that most English classes absolutely ignore linguistics (you know, the study of language). I think it's crucial, because looking at linguistics makes grammar so much more approachable and studying English so much more enjoyable.

There are essentially two schools of thought when it comes to grammar: the prescriptivists, and the descriptivists.

Prescriptivists= people who are all about the rules of language. They love Latin, and try to make English seem Latin. They have some French cousins who created a whole government department to keep their language "pure." They are also the people who will correct your grammar. (Don't hate me if you're a prescriptivist; I just think you make grammar no fun at all and give people headaches about split infinitives and other such nonsense.)

Descriptivists= people who believe that language is all about how you use it. These people understand that standard English is only of many dialects; each dialect follows unique linguistic rules, and is legitimate in its own right. If they were to talk about correctness, they would tell you that it depends on the context of the usage (beautiful thing called pragmatics). So, standard grammar in scholastic or business settings is entirely appropriate, but using nonstandard dialects (think of things like ain't, ya'll, etc.) is equally appropriate in other settings. To these people, it's all about using the dialect that will lead to effective communication. I am totally a descriptivist.

Is anyone still reading?

It feels so great to be thinking about this stuff again! Here are some things to think about should you like to ponder the English language with me:

*The word "you" is such an interesting word. This word is both singular and plural; in order to clarify people have applied logical pluralizing patterns and came up with ya'll and youse. At one time it was formal, but now it's informal (somewhere in language history "thee/thou" and "you" just straight up switched places- weird!). Who even knew such a little word had so much behind it?

*When someone asks you "How are you?" It is not at all incorrect to answer "I'm good." Am is a linking verb that should be followed by adjectives (like good) and well is mostly an adverb and only kind of an adjective. Well would be appropriate for talking about your health, but not so much your state of being. I was so happy when I learned that. I hate, hate, hate it when people have some snobby comment about how you really meant to say you're well; similarly the "may/can" thing. From now on, I'm just going to say, "Nope. I use adjectives after linking verbs, pal." (Thank you Grammar Girl.)

*Something I've seen a lot lately is people using an instead of a in front of an "h." Unless you're British, or it's a silent "h," it's unnecessary. The whole point is to make sentences more fluid. Two vowels next to each other is not fluid; try saying a 'istoric. Not easy. Now try an 'istoric. Piece of cake. But, if you don't have a charming British accent, you can say a historic just fine, and probably the deceptively sophisticated-looking an historic is actually kind of awkward to get out. Neat, huh?

If you have any thoughts, I'd love to hear them. I'm kind of curious if anyone stuck with me through the whole post.

7 comments:

MJG said...

I did! I did! (This is Megan from Just Jane.) I love grammar. I think I'm somewhere between prescriptive and descriptive. Usually prescriptive when it's a rule I really like; descriptive when other people get snobby and I get to educate them. :)

Mikey said...

I won't you lost me when you said "there are generally two school so though". Because then The Office came to find and I was thinking "Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica."

I kept on it after that though. I promise.

Katie E. said...

Oh Aubrey! Did you forget that I read your blog? Of course I stuck with you! I saw the title "Grammarisms" and got totally excited. Then I saw your definitions and nearly yelped in excitement. You've hit upon one of my favorite topics (and one of my favorite examples of Latinisms (the infinitive thing). I also knowingly end my sentences in prepositions all the time!! Bawahaha!). I've always claimed to be descriptivist in spoken language and prescriptivist in written. I also wrote a paper on this topic called "It's all Samuel Johnson's Fault" for one of my editing classes, and it was SO much fun. I would love to talk about this in more detail. Maybe when we do our curriculum day. It's so fun to have English Major nerds for friends!

Amy said...

I agree with your post whole-heartedly. I am a flaming descriptivist. I always bothers me when I tell people I'm an English major and they respond with, "Oh, please don't get mad at me when I use bad grammar." What? WHAT?! Why would I? What purpose would that serve? If you grunt at me and I understood what you meant, then I count it as a successful communication, and that is rare enough these days without mucking it up with all these rules. Obviously grunting (or bad grammar) doesn't work when you're giving a presentation in a formal setting or writing a paper, but when we're having a conversation, who cares? I've said some pretty amazingly not-correct sentences in my lifetime, and I don't expect to be put in grammar prison for them.

(My pet peeve is when people try to tell me that Star Trek's beginning theme is ungrammatical because it says "to boldly go," thus breaking up a verb, which is stupid, because you can do that in English. In Latin, the verb for "to go" is only one word, so this would be impossible, but English is not Latin and never will be and doesn't need to be. The end.)

Casey said...

Aubrey, that was fun to read. Grammar is actually pretty interesting stuff, I always hated English growing up though because teachers turned it into tiresome busy work and the rules were always explained unclearly, as if the teacher them-self had no idea what the rule was either. Not you though, you are a much better teacher then that.

I remember learning that about thee/thou and it being the informal and it made everything we say in church so much more personal and friendly with god. Language is cool to understand!

Lauren K said...

First run through I was totally skimming -- grammar is intimidating, but after reading the glowing reviews I tried again and loved it. I should have trusted you Aub and you're amazing teacher skills. Forgive me please? :)

Aubrey said...

Was not expecting such a wonderful response- hooray!

Megan: Yay! Welcome to my blog! I agree, I like to put grammar snobs in their place.

CoolBoy: If it was anything except The Office, I might have been offended. This time, you're safe :)

Katie E.: I thought you would respond, but... I sort of thought you would have more prescriptivist views. I can understand your blend of the two though- very fitting for an editor.

Amy: Me too! Esp. people I've known forever. Do I generally criticize you? No. Why would declaring my major make me start that. It's all about communication!

Casey: Thanks, I appreciate that. Language is fun. If I was smarter I would love to learn lots of languages and compare them all like we used to do w/ Spanish and French.

Lauren: You are forgiven (and thank you); thanks for trying again :) Grammar can be intimidating, but it's fun too! Oh, I will instill the love of grammar into so many teenage hearts as soon as I get a job!