Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Vending Machine Morality

Vending machines often present me with moral dilemmas.

For example, the other day I went to buy a fabulous diet caffeine-filled drink from the ancient vending machine in the teacher's lounge. This machine demands exact change. I'm not kidding... and, I'm pretty sure that it doesn't even have a functional change return. It strictly enforces its demands by refusing to vend anything at all unless you put in exacly 60 cents. I think we'd all agree that that is the prerogative of the machine. Well, I am more than happy to obey in order to make it through a long day. I put in my 60 cents... and it delivered my drink... and an additional 5 cents.

The whole problem is the impersonality inherent in vending machines. If I went to a store and they gave me extra money back it would be easy to return, but when it happens with a vending machine, who could possibly be contacted? And honestly, if they were contacted, they would probably think it was ridiculous. And it is. Okay... 5 cents... not really a big deal. BUT, I don't want freaking 5 cents on my conscience.

I know this is sounding absolutely absurd, but I'm serious. One time I bought a granola bar... and got two. I was seriously annoyed. The real problem is that it super much frustrates me when things don't work like they're supposed to and I feel like I'm cheating someone. I would rather the dumb thing just ate my money. That is a more comfortable feeling. I guess the secondary issue is I'm not quite selfless enough to just leave the nickel/granola bar there for the next person. I did, however, give the extra granola bar to someone in the class I was running late for and sure I was going to die of hunger in.

Truly, it is an impossible dilemma.

No comments: