Saturday, March 28, 2009

Moral Compass

*A little background info: in class we're reading a (great!) novel called Al Capone Does My Shirts. Before we started reading it we did tons of research about Alcatraz and Al Capone. Good stuff, like about the "dinner party of death" and such. They loved it, I loved it.

One kid makes a snappy comeback about another kid's comment.
Boy: You just got Al Capone-d!
Me: HA!!!
Now, they all say that after someone gets burned. Love it.

After we read about how Al Capone got cut up in a barroom brawl (and thus became known as Scarface)...
Student: Do you think after Al Capone got really powerful he hunted that guy down and killed him or something?
Me: I hope so.

2 comments:

heather walker said...

I loved that book--and it's so awesome that you are reading it with your class.

And you make me want to teach junior high with the things your students say . . .

Aubrey said...

It was sooo much fun to teach! We played Mafia and when they were being bad I'd send them to "solitary confinement" and make them sit at a table in the corner... but they thought it was cool so it stopped being much of a punishment ; )