Monday, June 21, 2010

Wow. That's Ridiculous.

Today was day one of my first professional conference. Overall, it's been amazing! Here's something though... this is a professional conference right? And BYU and the cooperating school districts have got to be paying at least $1,500 per person for us to attend.

Why, why, why would so many of the "professionals" attending this conference be messing around on Facebook, browsing all the different models of phones, and talking to each other about inane things during the presentation?

I hope that their students do that kind of stuff to them.

Oh, world... what will become of you?

5 comments:

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

HA! The irony of that is killing me.

Did you at least get some good food out of the deal?

Tansy said...

Wow is right! That's crazy.
Have fun at your conference!
PS-Love the new blog layout :)

Cooldad said...

Since you are a new teacher, you have not had the conference experience to the extent of some others. Some more seasoned teachers, not all mind you, are pretty much professional conference attenders. Why is beyond me. I have to go to more than a few conferences and I pretty much hate most of them. I am probably guilty of doing other things rather than paying attention to the current talking head standing before me saying much of the same things as I've heard in conferences over the past dozen years. Not trying to make excuses for bad behavior, just shedding some light as to the possible motives. Enjoy your first conference. May all your future conferences be as enjoyable and worthwhile.

Katie E. said...

This is like the day in my pedagogy class when about seven of us realized that we had done the same things for 611 that we'd complained about our students doing. And then we remembered that we were people and people procrastinate, get bored, and can only sit and listen for so long at a time. However, I would like to say go, Aubrey, go! Set the very model for professionalism as long as possible, and may you get amazing ideas out of the conference (especially if you can share them with me!) ;)