Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Anything You Can Do I Can Do Meta

Happy first day of summer! The year wouldn't feel complete without some end of year reflection. Wikipedia says that "some evolutionary psychologists hypothesize that metacognition is used as a survival tool," and I believe it because thinking back helps you figure out how to move forward. Here's what sticks out to me from this past year.

1. I am setting an example.
In the middle of a presentation on some literary period a student raises their hand.

Student (12th grade boy): Mrs. H., you make your own PowerPoints, huh?
Me: Yes...
Student: I can tell. You always cite everything.
Me: Yeah, I guess I do.
Student (thoughtfully): Mrs. H.
Me: Yes?
Student: You're setting a good example for us. Thank you.
Rest of Class: Yeah, thanks Mrs. H!

That was kind of an odd exchange. But, it made me feel good that they're getting something positive from me. Also, I feel like I should attribute the title of this post to Dr. K. Matthews- my rad American Modernism professor- I think it's funny.

2. Make friends. You need them.
You need to be able to rant, to get second opinions, to share ideas, to borrow Diet Coke money, to sit next to someone during pep assemblies... it's important.

3. Parents May Be Adults, But That Doesn't Mean They're Mature
At a point pretty square in the middle of the year, I got a pretty nasty email from a parent about the grade I had given her daughter on her essay. She went so far as to pass the essay along to a former English teacher and quote his response that strongly implied that I wasn't intelligent enough to recognize her daughter's genius. It hurt a whole lot.

I took it to my department head, showed her my rubric and the essay. And, she was outraged by the immature things the parent wrote. Turns out we all pretty solidly agree that even if your kid is a genius, her essay (about legalizing marijuana- a topic geniuses do tend to dwell on) still needs to meet the essay requirements. And, if you're mean to me, Mrs. R. might maim you. From this one I learned to stick to my guns and not take anything some coddling parent says too much to heart.

4. Reading Makes People Happy!
Hamlet rocked the 12th graders' world (The "Homelet" (Hamlet + omelet) Party didn't hurt either). And, 9th grade girls cried when Romeo and Juliet end their lives. A couple of 10th graders read books in their entirety for the first time in their lives... and they liked them. And, even the surly 11th graders felt good about The Princess Bride.

5. Your Attitude Will Make or Break You
I would be lying if I said I was a ray of sunshine every day... really, really lying. But, I saw very clearly that whatever my attitude was would be the attitude I got back from my classes. When I was excited and happy, my students were too. When I was exasperated and exhausted and overwhelmed they tended to become exasperating, exhausting, and overwhelming. Let's just say, there were good days and bad days, but I want to change the ratio. Because really, why do it if it doesn't make you happy?

5 comments:

typewriter heather said...

I want to take English from you. Too bad I'm not in high school anymore.

MJG said...

Hey-- Megan from book club here. This is a GREAT post. I love reading what other people figure out. :)

Andrea said...

you're the best teacher ever aub. I miss you and I miss being in class with you. how's your summer going?

Aubrey said...

I love your comments- you're the nicest friends! You'd be awesome students too, except that you're smarter than me... and that would make for a weird dynamic ;)

Andrea: I love summer so far! I'm kind of just taking a break and it is great. I'm finding that there's still plenty to do. How are you?

KatrinaW said...

Great post, Aubrey! Thanks for sharing your insights, and your triumphs. I loved hearing that your students enjoyed their readings, especially Shakespeare. And, how cool are you? A Homelet party ... genius!