Monday, June 15, 2009

"Children make you want to start life over." ~Muhammad Ali

It would be mean of me not to share the highlights of today's substitute experience. And, I am nice, so, here are some highlights of the fun I had teaching 2nd grade today:

*I always write my name up on the board when I sub, and when they walked in they all got inexplicably excited and start singing, "Miss Wardle, Miss Wardle..." like we were long lost friends. When the bell rings I start to introduce myself and they yell out, "You're [Student]'s mom, huh?" Oh my. It took me quite a while to convince them that I was not this kid's mom just because we have the same last name. Kids are not good with ages if you haven't noticed; sometimes you're 17 and other times you are old enough to have a child in 2nd grade (which I am not).

*2nd graders are nice. We played weather bingo, and that was all well and good. But, as the wee children gathered around the rug for story time and I was putting away the bingo supplies the container of several hundred foam circle bingo markers slipped from my hand and scattered across the floor. Before I even have time to react, over half of the kids have, quite literally, thrown themselves to the floor in a competition to be the most helpful and pick up the most foam markers. And, as a bonus, they thought I was ever so funny for dropping them.

*Aaand then... for story time we read The Frog Prince, Continued. It's a cute book about how the Frog Prince and Princess are not living so happily ever after because they fight all the time. They thought the whole premise was ridiculous. "Duh. All he has to do is kiss her again, and then they'll be happy." I will try to remember this in the future.

*At least four kids cornered me at some point during the day and conspiratorially whispered, "Miss Wardle, can I be your helper today?" And I told all of them yes. I'm not sure how you say no to that.

*Right now, they are working on their Animal Reports (Do any of you also remember doing this in 2nd grade? I did mine on whales.). Ensuing conversation went something like this:

Boy: Teacher! Teacher! (this is the standard call whenever students are so excited that they forget your name) I got the best animal for my report.
Me: What animal did you get?
Boy: Bunny! And, do you want to know how bunnies defend themselves?
Me (bunnies defend themselves? hmm...): Sure.
Boy: Well there are two ways. First they pretend like they are a rock. And then if something catches them they jump, like 15 feet in the air and then they get away.
Me: Oh, wow.
Boy: And the second way... oh man, this is so cool... the second way is that if something catches the bunny it emits this really high-pitched squeal out of its ears! And then the animal gets startled and lets it go.

Oh yes. You read that correctly; "it emits this really high-pitched squeal out of its ears." This boy had burst into tears for no discernible reason about an hour earlier, so I just let that one go.

6 comments:

Lauren K said...

hehehehe, oh these are fantastic! I remember those reports, I did mine on the dingo.

Mikey said...

Wait, what? Emits a high frequency wave out of its ears? I dunno about that one. But it paints a really funny mental picture. I thought of a bunny directing its floppy ears at a predator and blasting it with microwaves or something.

Maybe there's a 3rd grade teacher about to retire at that school and you can just teach that class next year. That would be awesome.

Mine was on scorpions. They're omnivores, you know.

Amy said...

I did whales too. You know how every young girl gets infatuated with horses at some time in her life? With me it was whales.

And I do think bunnies can squeal. But probably not out their ears.

Amber said...

This makes me really really happy.

Mine was on Starlings. In Idaho - the kids have to pick a bird. We can't choose from the entire animal kingdom.

Totally stinky.

Tansy said...

Wow, you're job is way more entertaining than mine!

My report was on eagles.

Aubrey said...

It makes me very happy that you all remember your animals! Look how much we all learned!

(See Public Education, I believe in you- why don't you believe in me??)