Thursday, April 30, 2009

Fine. Next Time I'll Do It. And DIE!

Remember when you were little, and Officer Friendly, and your teachers, and your parents, and your grandparents, and educational television programs warned you repeatedly not to talk to strangers? When, I would like to know, was this policy changed? Because something happened to me awhile ago, and a bunch of people I told about it think it's practically criminal that I didn't give my number to this complete stranger (flattering stranger though he was). I, however, am leaning towards logical, practical, safe, reasonable, etc.

Here's what happened:
I went to they gym to attend a yoga class, and since I got there early, I did some cardio and then decided to walk on the track for a little bit. On my way to the track, I made eye contact with a guy who was walking towards me. He looked a little bit familiar, and seeing as I was in Lehi where everyone knows everyone, I smiled, and continued on my merry way.

As I round the corner someone behind me calls out, "Hey, wait!" Which is always an indicator that you should keep going. Or perhaps run. But, I turn around, and it's the guy I smiled at, who I can now clearly tell that I do not know.

He begins, "Hi! I just wanted to apologize. I was just kinda scowlin' and unpleasant and then you smiled at me and..." Here he indicated that my smile made him melt, which was very, very flattering I admit.

"Oh, that's okay, really." I reply. "I thought you looked familiar, like someone from school, but I don't think I know you."

This is followed by introductions. Which is followed by him asking if I have a boyfriend. My reply, "A little bit." Boldfaced lie, and it sounds like one too! (I did feel bad about that part.)

And now, The Point.

I have watched far too many episodes of 20/20 and Dateline to feel comfortable giving my number out to total strangers. I kid you not, someone, even someone who tells me that my smile makes them melt, wants my number and in an instant I am having visions of my bloody and mutilated corpse stuffed under a bush with police lights flashing all around as the K9 unit searches for the remains of that one nice girl with the amazing smile.

So if you think I am ruining my chances of ever finding that special someone by insisting that I know someone even the tiniest bit before I tell them where I live, please just think of me as the next murder mystery special on Dateline and I promise you'll change your mind.

6 comments:

The Wrights said...

Aubrey! Hot stuff picking up guys at the gym!

Andrea said...

good on ya, but definitely keep your eye out for that guy again... you never know he may be a good one...miss you!

Katie E. said...

When I was a custodian we had a motto. It was "Safety first!" I think it applies to Stranger Danger just as readily as it applies to avoiding chemical burns and the like. Good on ya.

Amy said...

Speaking of awkward pickups... you need to go read my new post. Just be glad gym-dude wasn't anything like this guy.

CoolBoy said...

Yeah...go watch the movie "Taken", then you'll feel justified in not even talking to a stranger ever again, much less give them your number.

validation word: sykron. Sounds like a vegetable on krypton.

Aubrey said...

I keep hearing about that movie. I may have to watch it; of course, if you're right it might make me even more parnoid.

Those validation words are always so bizarre.