Sunday, January 4, 2009

A Little Free Advertising

I LOVE Masterpiece Theatre.

Seriously, nothing brightens my day like a 2-4 hour version of some classic work of 19th century literature. At this exact moment in time, I am watching Tess of the D'Urbervilles, and quite love it. I realize this is not a passion that most other people share, but that's okay, classic literature is best experienced alone. That way, no one can see you crying when Jane leaves Rochester or when Angel Claire breaks Tess' honest, repentant heart... or the ridiculous smile on your face when Gilbert Markham finds Helen Graham and confesses his love to her, or when Jane hears Rochester crying out across the moors and leaves the attractive, but cold, St. John to go back to him.

So, if this maybe secretly appeals to you... Sundays at 8, KUED. Or, for ultimate literary viewing secrecy, you can get most episodes online at shoppbs.org.

(oh my goodness, just looked at the upcoming episodes, and Wuthering Heights is next! I couldn't be happier!)

2 comments:

Amy said...

I've never watched Masterpiece Theater, but now I want to. But I think I'll wait until Tess of the D'Urbervilles is over. I saw a cinematic version of it once right in the middle of kind of a personal crisis and it made me cry so hard I almost threw up. So, I can understand the appeal it has, but will personally be staying away.

Aubrey said...

Oh, sad. I can see how that would be possible, it's truly a depressing story. In a lit class once I said it was my favorite book cause I couldn't think of one and everyone else had these very intellectual favoriets. Everyone looked at me funny and they all thought I must be a very sad or very twisted person. So, that was a bad idea : )

Wuthering Heights is promising though. If it's a good adaptation it will be beautiful and if it's a bad one it will be hilarious!