Thursday, September 8, 2011

My Nerdy Friends Will Be So Jealous

You guys! I'm breaking my incredibly long streak of not posting anything at all to tell you something awesome!

There is this book club in my district cleverly disguised as a professional development workshop. It's such a ruse though. I mean, how can this be work? Here's the deal. I pay $65. I get 7 YA books to keep. I get to go to once a month meetings to talk about books and eat treats with smart teachers, including at least two of my teacher friends from school. I get some college credit. And, the real kicker for me, the authors of the books we read will be at the meeting for their book!

Want to know who I'm going to get to meet and have literary discussions with? Here's our book/author list.

September- Paranormalcy by Kiersten White
October- The Kiss of a Stranger by Sarah Eden
November- Possession by Elana Johnson
December- Beyonders by Brandon Mull
January- Mark of Royalty by Jennifer Clark
February- Candy Bomber by Mike Tunnell
March- Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

I'm really, really excited. I haven't read any of these books yet, and I'm pretty much the nerdiest when it comes to meeting authors.

Actually, that's a good story... The first time I met a real life author, it was Dean Hughes. I got paid an "allowance" in books (which was totally awesome of my mom to do, I think) when I was a teenager, and his Children of the Promise books were the ones I remember being the most excited about. He was a guest speaker in my very first English major class, and it was so neat to meet him, but I was way nervous about it. I guess I was worried that he'd be mean or egotistical and my ideals would be ruined. But, then he was just super nice and smart so all was well. I've met a few more authors since then, but it's still way exciting to me.

4 comments:

elliespen said...

I AM OFFICIALLY JEALOUS.

Seriously, that sounds like one of the most awesome things ever. I especially would love to come to September's meeting, because I very much enjoy Kiersten White's books and blog. (You can even tell her that if you want to, because I'm sure she's been just dying to know that I like her.)

Also, my WV: slystr. I kind of love it.

KTE said...

THAT IS FANTASTIC!!!! How did you score such a fabulous deal? Is it because you are awesome and amazing? I'd buy that. ;) I love the blogging. Congrats again. (Free books! New book club! Meeting authors! It's so amazing I wanna die!)

Lauren Mc said...

Yep, jealous. Michael Tunnell taught my Children's Lit class. He is very nice and you will like him I think.

MJG said...

OH my goodness. That is the coolest thing ever. I can't wait to hear about it. You should post a review of each book too b/c I haven't read any of them either. Hooray for this!