Thursday, December 3, 2009

Wherein I Kick Adversity's Butt

You know how you always get sick at the worst possible time? (or is that just me?)

Yeah. That happened.

Yesterday, after parent teacher conferences I came home with a throbbing, aching head. Maintained consciousness only long enough to make dinner, throw up dinner, and watch the end of my favorite Christmas movie. But, not long enough to finish my lesson for my very important evaluation that I had today (important as in it goes on my permanent file as a teacher).

So, much sleep, several meaningful prayers, and one early morning PowerPoint party later... I headed to school... with another terrible headache.

Second period rolled around, and... it went so well!

I had decided to do a lesson about colons, because I love grammar, and my students love our grammar lessons too. Truly. They all participate and then go crazy using whatever we learned in their writing (there have even been reports of text messages containing semi-colons).

They wrote fabulous titles, lists, and compound sentences using colons. They asked just the right number of questions, and misbehaved in minor ways the exact number of times I would have wished for (part of your score is for correcting misbehavior). I need to come up with some sort of treat for them. They're always a good class, but this being perfect was quite intentional on their part.

Then my administrator and I went over my score (I sort got an amazing score) and her notes. She left. I turned off all the lights and laid on the floor on my office willing my head not to explode. Which apparently worked since I feel totally fine now.

p.s. I will write about things besides teaching sometime soon. Probably about the time that Mike and I bought his wedding ring from some random guy's store... in his basement. That was a good time.

3 comments:

Mikey said...

Yay for you! I always tell you how amazing you are, but you don't ever believe it until some weird old lady puts numbers on a paper for you.

And you have to make sure you tell them about the funky Christmas decorations and the moose at that house. Maybe we should go take a picture of it.

vw: ackydra: An icky hydra

Amy said...

Semicolons in text messages? Now that's talent. (You are talented at teaching, is what I meant... though it takes a lot of talent to put a semicolon in a text message, too.)

KTE said...

"That was a good time," eh? It looks like that Mike guy is rubbing off on you.

This is awesome; it sounds like major tender mercies/miracles.

You rock. I'm glad.