Thursday, December 30, 2010

Our First Christmas

Even though we spent last Christmas together, this year was our first official Christmas. It was great! Luckily, we've been able to spend a lot of time with family. My family is close by, and Mike's parents came down to see our adorable new nephew.

It was kind of an interesting experience getting everything ready. We didn't have much in the way of Christmas decorations, and with finals and end of term grading, we didn't really have time to get a tree until mid-December.

We honestly just couldn't justify spending tons of money on Christmas ornaments, but I think our frugal tree turned out very nicely. My family usually strings popcorn and cranberries, so we started there. Then, we got out the lovely dove ornaments that Valli and Dave gave us as a wedding gift, and a few hand-me-down ornaments from my mom.. And then... we went to the dollar store! Here's the finished product:
It was a good reminder that things don't have to be expensive to be nice. I'm really proud of the tree skirt. Thanks to Mike's understanding of geometry and patience with my inability to distinguish radius and diameter, we were able to make it ourselves. Here's a close up:Without gushing too much, I really just want to say that I'm so glad to have this special time of year where people focus on faith and goodness. And, I am extra grateful that I have such a good person to spend it with.

4 comments:

Tansy said...

Oh Aubrey, your tree looks fantastic! And the tree skirt is great. I just got a cheap one from walgreens--someday I'll make time to sew a cute one . . . :)

Coolmom said...

I need to check out the tree skirt! We are so happy to be able to spend some time with you and Mike!

Unknown said...

You deserve the gracious hostess of 2010 award!

Valli said...

Beautiful tree! And fabulous tree skirt. Now that I know you have a blog I'll be a frequentC visitor.