Thursday, October 15, 2009

Minor Difficulties

Last Friday, Mike and I went to the ballroom dance social at the high school. It was a lot of fun. A bunch of my students are on the team, and actually were in charge teaching the dances to the public. Which was great, except for how every time we'd start to get tired and think about sitting down for a song a new student would pop up and offer to teach us a new dance. They were so cute and enthusiastic that there was really no way to turn them down. Mike is a great dancer, and I didn't harm myself or anyone else, so I count that as a success.

Funniest/most awkward part of the evening had to do with some mistakes being made about my age. Basically, I get mistaken for a high school student at least once a day, and it doesn't really bother me all that much. But, it gets really uncomfortable when a student mistakes you for a student... and asks you to dance. Yep. That happened. I just smiled and explained that I was just going to dance with my fiancé. He looked a little weirded out too.

5 comments:

Spitfire said...

This is such a funny story! Thanks for sharing. At my current job at USU professors will always think that I'm their freshman student when I'm actually trying to work with them about work. It takes a second for them to realize that we are actually coworkers. But that's still not as bad as being asked out by high schoolers.

I start an internship in January in the middle school-- hopefully the kids and teachers will think I at least look older than that.

Spitfire said...

P.S. This is Mike's sister.

Unknown said...

I knew Mike could really "cut the rug"! He also wants to come back as Gene Kelly!

Amy said...

That happened to me once! This kid asked me to dance, and I said yes and we started making small talk and I asked him how old he was and he said fourteen and I thought "$%*&@!" Because that's just way too young, and this story is several years old, even. Then he asked how old I was and I told him and he just went white, poor kid, and we danced in awkward silence for the rest of the song until we could finally part ways and wash our hands of the business.

I loveyour blog!

Aubrey said...

Spitfire: That sounds pretty awkward, actually. I'm sure the middle school will be better- I never had this problem last year. The 7th graders thought I was really old. I'm excited for you. It sounds weird but I LOVED working with middle schoolers!

Amy: Oh, thanks! And, HA! That is so funny!